Established in 1886 the club entered the Heineken league in the 1991-92 season after a number of highly successful seasons in the 1980,s. Situated just a quarter of a mile from the A470 Abercynon provides rugby for teams at all levels. This includes Senior, junior (13-17) and minis (8-12). At senior level the club First XV is playing in the WRU Swalec League Division 2 East and are ably backed up by our development, Youth and under 16 teams. Abercynon R.F.C. was founded in 1886 around the time that the village of Abercynon began to expand. The side during this time drew heavily on the miners who worked in the local colliery and the men would very often come staight from working their shift underground and play a match turning up in their coal covered working clothers and faces. The side played rugby in Abercynon almost continually until the outbreak of World War 2 in 1939 and during this time Abercynon R.F.C did not function. Abercynon R.F.C was reformed after the war in 1948 and such stalwarts as Chester Williams, Jim Davies and many more served this club with great distinction. In 1969 our first Rugby Club house was opened in Margaret Street in the centre of Abercynon the work and alterations being carried out by Walter Barnes who was a committee man at that time and served on the committee along with Elwyn Rosser until they were both deservedly made Life Members in the early 90’s. A number of the committee who were instrumental in working hard to get our first Rugby Club into being are still active members working hard for the club today. The firt of the major developments undertaken by the club was the installation of the floodlighting system in 1980 followed then in 1985 by the construction of the stand. In 1986 we saw the completion of our new club house at Y Parc and once again it was Walter Barnes who was the main contractor for the constuction of our fine club house. Since 1948 we have had a number of hard working and dedicated secretaries of our club namely Chester Williams, Eddy Davies, Ron Manfield, Reg Young, Ray Howells, Gordon Williams and our present secretary Mike Williams all who have helped to make the club the success it is today. In the mid 90’s the terracing was constructed and the fencing around the ground was erected. In the past season the stand has been refurbished and now has electrical shutters to make it vandal proof. Our President Mr. John Murphy would like to give a very big thank you to all our sponsors and advertisers for their support to Abercynon R.F.C. We are always looking for new sponsors. On a match day there are always a good number of past players present. If you like a laugh you can always engage in conversation with our Car Park Attendants Cllr. Alby Davies and Albert Cross. Come along on a match day and meet old friends and renew old friendships. Have a chat and enjoy a pint together after the game.