Dinas Powis RFC v Abercynon RFC


Date Time League Season
12th September 2015 2:30 PM SWALEC Division 2 East Central 2015-16


Dinas Powys RFCBonus Point Win
Abercynon RFCLoss

Match Report

[mk_custom_box border_width=”1″ bg_color=”#f6f6f6″ bg_position=”left top” bg_repeat=”repeat” bg_stretch=”false” predefined_bg=”16″ padding_vertical=”30″ padding_horizental=”20″ margin_bottom=”10″ min_height=”100″][mk_icon_box icon=”mk-moon-pen” title=”Match Report” text_size=”18″ font_weight=”bold” style=”simple_minimal” icon_size=”small” rounded_circle=”false” icon_location=”left” circled=”false” icon_color=”#000000″ icon_circle_color=”#f97352″ box_blur=”false” margin=”30″][/mk_icon_box]

The first home game of the season yields five valuable points

Newly promoted Dinas Powys RFC showed that they’re at home amongst the teams within Division 2 as they cruise to a bonus point victory over Abercynon on sun bathed Common.

A ferocious contest between two well coached sides produced a high quality spectacle that saw the ‘Villagers’ outscore the team from the Cynon valley by five tries to one.

Playing into the wind in the first half, the home side produced a series of powerful driving mauls that ensured they dominated territory in the first quarter of the game. During this period the visitors conceded a series of penalties in quick succession and a less tolerant official may have penalised the persistent offending, which disrupted the tempo of the match, more severely.

It was fully twenty minutes before the visitors encroached into the home twenty-two following an intercepted pass. Had it not been for a superb covering tackle by open-side flanker Lewis Dunleavy they would surely have scored the game’s opening try. As it was they had to settle for a modest three points as the ensuing pressure resulted in a penalty for and, against the run of play, Abercynon took the lead. This score, allied with a strengthening wind at their backs, saw the visitors enjoy a period of pressure and the awarding of a further penalty that enables them extended their lead to six points after half an hour.

At this point the home forwards began to take control of the game. The power packed front row of fellow props Andrew O’Malia and Caleb Robinson coupled with hooker Lewis Christopher saw the home pack push the bulky visiting forwards off their own ball in a series of scrums. Christopher was also on fine form at the lineout, producing an excellent display of accurate throwing, helping the ‘Villagers’ secure the ball consistently on their own through and maintaining a 100% success record throughout the contest.

The home side scored two tries through centre Adam Williams and right wing Rhys Evans in the last five minutes of the first half. Both tries followed periods of stunning interplay that was later described as Champagne rugby by gnarly scrummaging coach Tim O’Donnell.

The conversion of the latter of these two tries by outside half Johnny Morris meant that the home side entered the half time interval with a 12-6 lead.

Dinas dominated the first twenty minutes of the second half, their high tempo offloading game producing a spectacle for the large crowd gathered on the Common.

Nathan Williams, playing at full back, produced a series of searing breaks and after five minutes of the second half scored the third try for the home side, the conversion added by Morris advanced the score to 19-6.

The visitors did not have possession of the ball in the home half of the pitch during this period and it was ironic that when they did eventually venture into the ‘Villagers’ half one of their passes was intercepted by Morris who ran sixty metres to score the vital bonus point gaining fourth try. With Morris converting his own try the home side held a comfortable 26-6 lead.

The home side should have cleared the restart with a hefty kick downfield, but the easy option was overlooked and with a penalty conceded for not releasing the ball after the tackle. This was to be the beginning of the best period of play for the men from Abercynon. A proud side were stunned into action and a bad tempered period of the game saw the home side stand their ground and meet fire with fire.

The introduction of Luke Dyer for the superb Caleb Robinson saw the new slimmed down Dyer tackle forcefully and carry the ball powerfully.

Flanker Ryan Shallish lead the home team’s defence from the fore producing a man of the match performance in a fine team. However the visitors were awarded a series of penalties and the inevitable try was gained as their inside centre cut a clever angle to score under the posts. The easy conversion was added and the lead for the home side was reduced 26-13 with ten minutes remaining.

Any tension that may have existed amongst the spectators was relieved as the men from Abercynon conceded a penalty at the restart. With the wind at his back, Johnny Morris struck the ball sweetly to send it sailing cleanly between the uprights and extending the lead to 29-13.

Substitute Tom Davies scored the game’s final try at the death following a further period of stunning three-quarter play. At the final whistle the ‘Villagers’ were worthy 34-13 victors over their opponents.

The league programme continues with an away trip to unbeaten Llantrisant.[/mk_custom_box]

[mk_custom_box border_width=”1″ bg_color=”#f6f6f6″ bg_position=”left top” bg_repeat=”repeat” bg_stretch=”false” predefined_bg=”16″ padding_vertical=”30″ padding_horizental=”20″ margin_bottom=”10″ min_height=”100″][mk_icon_box icon=”mk-moon-camera-3″ title=”Match Photographs” text_size=”18″ font_weight=”bold” style=”simple_minimal” icon_size=”medium” rounded_circle=”false” icon_location=”left” circled=”false” icon_color=”#000000″ icon_circle_color=”#f97352″ box_blur=”false” margin=”30″]


The Common

Southra, Dinas Powys, Vale of Glamorgan CF64 4DU, UK

%d bloggers like this: